The Department of American Studies (Institut für Amerikanistik), together with the Department of English Studies (Institut für Anglistik), the following programs:
- B.A. (Bachelor of Arts)
- M.A. (Masters of Arts)
- Joint Master's Degree in English and American Studies
- Doctorate (Doctor of Philosophy)
- Teaching degree (Lehramt)
The Department offers courses in American literature and cultural studies, including introductory courses, lectures, special topics courses, surveys and period courses, and Master Research Seminars.
- "Übungen" are courses in which students are expected to participate actively in class, with an emphasis on the acquisition of practical competence.
- "Proseminars" also require active class participation but, in addition to their practical aims, emphasize the acquisition of theoretical knowledge or analytical competence.
- "Seminars" are advanced-level courses with a scholarly orientation. Students are expected to participate actively in class.
- "Lectures" require continuous reading of course material and preparation of weekly assignments by students.
Main Areas of Research and Teaching
- American literary and cultural history
- Transnational American studies
- Urban studies
- Adaptation and intermediality studies
- Film and media studies
- Ethnic studies
- Gender studies
- Performance studies
ContactDepartment of American Studies
Mon. - Fri. 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m