End of this page section.

Begin of page section: Contents:


Frequently asked questions about the certificate

Q: Do I have to register for the certificate?
A: No, you do not have to register for the certificate. You simply hand in a list of the completed courses, your transcript of records, and the proof of your internship. A list of courses offered in the academic year 2022/23 which are relevant for the certificate can be found here. We do recommend, however, to become part of our email distributor, since you will then be informed about latest developments and current events. To receive our newsletter, please send an email to our office manager: lisa.buchegger(at)uni-graz.at

Q: Which courses can I use for the certificate?
A: Please look at the curriculum for the certificate.

Q: I am a bachelor or master student at a department that is not one of the five co-organizing departments American Studies, Art History, Fundamental Theology, World Religions, Corporate Leadership & Entrepreneurship (for example, Law/Psychology/Philosophy). Can I still do the certificate?
A: Yes, you can! All bachelor and master students at the University of Graz can take the certificate.

Q: Can I use a course I have taken at another university or technical college (Pädagogische Hochschule, etc.) for the certificate?
A: Basically, yes, as long as this course corresponds to one of the modules of the certificate. For example, if it is possible to accredit this course as a proseminar “Topics in Anglophone Cultural Studies,” then it can also be used for the certificate (module 1.1). You can apply for getting a course taken at another university or college accredited via anerkennung-gewi(at)uni-graz.at.

Q: I study in the old ‘Magister/ra’ program (e.g., Law) and not in one of the more recent bachelor or master programs. Can I take the certificate?
A: No problem. That also counts.

Q: How do I apply for an internship?
A: Fill in this form and hand it in with the Dean’s Office (Faculty of Humanities): anerkennung-gewi(at)uni-graz.at
This how-to file explains the three-step process of applying for an internship, getting it confirmed by the company/organization you worked for, and getting it accredited at university. N.B. These documents are only available in German.

Q: Can I get work that I did for a media company accredited as an internship?
A: No. On principle, internships have to be completed and accredited for programs of study. You need to file for approval of the internship as free electives of your main subject prior to the training (see https://gewi.uni-graz.at/en/studieren/bachelors-programme/practical-training-abroad/).

Q: Can I use an internship that I did years ago and never got accredited?
A: Yes, as long as you have not gotten this internship accredited for other purposes. Whether this internship, previously approved by the Dean of Studies, can be used for the Certificate will be decided by the Head of the Certificate (Professorship Amerikanistik II).

Q: Where can I do an internship that is suitable?
A: We recommend that you contact the media company, television/radio station of your choice and apply for an internship. Since these internships are usually unpaid (but look great in your CV), employers tend to be very open to this opportunity.

Q: Can I use courses for the certificate for “American Film and Television” that I have already used for other certificates or combined-degree courses?
A: Unfortunately, this is not possible. If you have used these courses for another certificate already, you cannot use them again.

Q: I have completed all courses for the Certificate in “American Film and Television Studies” and have compiled all required documents. What do I have to do to get my certificate?
A: First, please go over the documents again to ensure completeness. You need to hand in:

1) the list of completed courses (Accreditation Form),

2) your Transcript of Records, and

3) the approved Application for Internship, including the Confirmation of Placement.

Next, please turn these documents into 1 PDF file and email it to Lisa Buchegger, BBA MA, putting Prof. Stefan Brandt in CC.


Please contact Lisa Buchegger, should there be further questions.



Univ.-Prof. Mag. Dr.

Stefan L. Brandt


Department of American Studies

Phone:+43 (0)316 380 - 2466

Office Management

Lisa Buchegger


Department of American Studies
Heinrichstraße 18/1, 8010 Graz

Phone:+43 (0)316 380 - 8204

End of this page section.

Begin of page section: Additional information:

End of this page section.