Two Positions as Student Assistant (STUMAK)
(March 2023 to June 2023 – 10 hrs./ week)
One Position as Student Assistant (STUMAL)
(March 2023 to June 2023 – 3 hrs./ week)
The Department of American Studies at the University of Graz seeks applications from B.A., M.A., and Lehramt students in Anglistik/Amerikanistik interested in working as a student assistant for four months (March 2023 to June 2023) as part of the “Amerikanistik 2” team (Prof. Brandt).
Responsibilities & Duties
- Organizational support:
o Preparation of materials for courses (Moodle, seminar handouts, databases, etc.) (STUMAK/STUMAL);
o Organizational help with the Certificate “American Film and Television Studies” (STUMAK);
o Technical/organizational support with the online journal AmLit – American Literatures (STUMAK);
o Technical support with guest lectures and information events (STUMAK/STUMAL).
- Proofreading of academic texts and presentations in American Cultural and Literary Studies (STUMAK/STUMAL).
- Assistance with the Media Archive for American Studies in Heinrichstr. 18 (staffing and assistance during opening hours, inventory, administration of film lists, etc.) (STUMAK/STUMAL).
• B.A., M.A., and Lehramt students in Anglistik/Amerikanistik (at least 3rd semester B.A.) with a focus on American Cultural/Literary Studies;
• Basic knowledge of American Literary and Cultural Studies and especially American cinema (desirable);
• Proficiency in using online platforms, experience with research tools and databases;
• Excellent grades in all American Studies courses (list all relevant courses and grades in your letter of motivation);
• Excellent knowledge of English (native or near-native speaker);
• Soft skills (communicative competence, organizational skills, flexibility, ability to work independently and proactively, team-working skills, etc.).
To apply for one of the three positions, please send your application materials (in English), consisting of a short letter of motivation (including a bullet point list of all courses taken in American Studies with grades in a separate section as well as information on your research interests and your planned bachelor’s/diploma/master’s thesis), CV, and transcript of records (Studienerfolgsnachweis), all in ONE DOCUMENT (in PDF form), to stefan.brandt(at)uni-graz.at.
Important note: You have to be enrolled as a student at the University of Graz in order to apply. Applications from Ph.D. students cannot be taken into consideration for legal reasons.
In your application, please mention the reference number for this job: #2023/Am_2
Deadline: Tuesday, December 20, 2022, 6 p.m. (18:00 Uhr) (via email)
Skype interviews will be conducted between January 9 and January 20.
Please check your email (incl. spam folder) regularly.
Contact: Univ. Prof. Dr. Stefan L. Brandt
Department of American Studies
Research Area for American Literary and Cultural History with a Focus on (Trans-) Nationality and Space
University of Graz
Download the job announcement here.